The Bridge At Cahors, France

This Medieval Bridge at Cahors, France (just south of the Dordogne Valley on the main north/south motorway to Carcassone and The Languedoc Region of southern France) was the dividing line between "English France," and French soil during the Hundred Years War. Its three massive stone towers and fortified gateways kept the two armies apart -- except after hours, when festive-minded soldiers from either side would sneak across the river in rowboats, wine and feast and carouse together, and return to their respective sides of the river with "fair warning" just in time for renewed hostilities at daybreak.


Friday, December 28, 2012


BRIEF REASSURANCES TO THOSE AT HOME ...

This will be the shortest, tersest blog yet. Just wanted to reassure those of you following that late last night, A very trusting French "Road Angel" came through for me in Havana. Guaranteed enough money to get out of Havana and pay my hotel bill so they didn't put me in one of Fidel's little underground debtor's grottos here. Then this morning, the extended efforts of my son Sean through Western Union (I think he learned a huge lesson in persistence, which is my hallmark, but for which I am extremely grateful) came through.

I have money to pay ALL my bills now, and travel to Vinales -- the Cuban version of Yosemite. It is my favorite place in the world, that magnificent valley in California. Okay, this is on dial up, and will take half an hour to load for this short little paragraph. I'll put something on word tonight and tomorrow, and try to get it on here without having to compose as I go at a very expensive rate. For now, all is okay.

Money in the pocket, foreign tourists to talk to, cerveza waiting in the wings, and excellent Cuban food to make my belly swell. Should be a great day tomorrow. Vinales is "the beauty spot" of Cuba, with caves, cliffs, climbing, tobacco fields, rivers, hiking, and much beauty all around. More, as I can. Back to Mexico the 30th and hopefully find myself in Belize with a working phone and FULL internet access by the 31st. Ciao !

No photos until I get full internet access and have time to linger and not pay for time by the minute at extortion rates. Perhaps Sunday?

--Larry, FWT

1 comment:

  1. Time for a new "Road Angels" list?
    Happy New Year, Larry!

    ReplyDelete